Friday, March 08, 2013

God...Paul...and Mick Dundee

In the movie, 'Crocodile Dundee', as the reporter is interviewing Mick Dundee about his experience when grabbed by a crocodile they have this exchange:

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Of course it took me a week to crawl this far. I thought I was a goner. I said to meself, "Mick old son, find yourself a nice comfortable spot and lay down and die".
Sue Charlton: Weren't you afraid?
Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Of dying? Nah. I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God, we'd be mates.

"Yep, me and God, we'd be mates."

In 2 Corinthians 5:16-21 would take these words of Mick Dundee a step further and say:

"Yep, me and God, we are mates."

...and not only 'mates', but the very embodiment of God's righteousness.  That is to say, God's right relationship with his creation finds full expression in you and in your life.  Heavy duty stuff to say the least. 

Which leads to another interesting dialogue possibility...

Imagine some of your friends discussing what is the difference between God and you, or Jesus and you. Paul would hope that the answer to that question is that there is no difference. Our lives, words, attitudes, actions and very being are the active physical presence of God's divine grace and the living presence of Jesus in the world.  Very often the only Christ that most people will experience will be you and the only time they see God or experience his presence in their lives will be in you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home