Friday, September 03, 2010

When I can't...can God?

Some thoughts on Luke 14:25-33...

Somebody should speak to Jesus about his recruiting methods. Using shame and sacrifice as basic considerations for discipleship and following him are particularly jarring to us today. Why doesn't he emphasize the feel-good, helping others aspect of the work??? Is it because he is deliberately trying to make the task of discipleship impossible for us? Does he want us to reach the point where we admit to ourselves that we cannot achieve the standards or make the sacrifices he requires of us? So many times in my life when I finally realize that I cannot do what God requires and stop trying, then God is able to act and show me how in his grace and power I am enabled, empowered, and equipped as his disciple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home