Friday, June 11, 2010

Don't you get it?

Then Jesus said, "Your sins are forgiven." Luke 7:48

I don't think Simon was particularly self-righteous. I doubt very much that he thought himself a perfect person. There was too much in the life of a Pharisee that would have reminded him of his failures, his weakness, his sin and his need for God. Rituals of sacrifice and purification would be potent reminders on their own. What Simon failed to understand was the meaning and power of the very forgiveness that he was seeking from God through all these rituals.

When I read this story I recognize that more often than not I am more Simon and less like the unnamed woman. I confess my sin. I hear the words of forgiveness. But life doesn't change. I don't change. My attitude is still judgmental. I still experience regrets and guilt. I still try to hide the reality of who and what I am. I just don't get it. My sins are forgiven. I am forgiven. I am a new creature. A new creation.

"Your sins are forgiven." Powerful words that you may not have considered fully. Your sins are forgiven. No more guilt. No more regrets. No more hidden lies or lives. You are forgiven and it comes to you out of grace from a gracious God. He extends his forgiveness before we ask for it or look for it or even recognize our need for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home