Friday, February 03, 2012

Companions...not Chameleons!

I have been serving in the Illawarra Lutheran Parish for 3 years now and have been preaching my way through the Gospel readings. Now I am starting on a preaching journey that will take me through the Epistle readings for the next few years. I hope you will continue to accompany me as we take our first look.

1 Corinthians 9:16-23 is a classic text from the writings of Paul, apostle, missionary, evangelist, author. In it we find some of his better known words:

"So I become all things to all people, that I may save some of them by whatever means are possible." (1 Corinthians 9:22)

Too often these words are taken to mean that we are 'chameleons' who must constantly change to suit the situation or the people we meet. Self-denial seems to be the key. The problem in this is that we easily become dishonest and hypocritical with ourselves and with others. Taking a stand on anything seems almost impossible and it seems to me that we become more like some slick snake-oil salesperson who will say anything to make a sale.

But we are not in the business of selling. Evangelism is not selling. To me Paul is talking about acceptance of the person. About being authentic and real. About being flexible and open to meet people wherever we find them in their physical and spiritual lives. It may mean that sometimes we find ourselves mixed up in some things that make us uncomfortable and challenge our way of thinking. It may mean offering real hospitality...you know... 'making someone feel at home when we really wish they were'.

One of the best understandings I came across in my reading for this text was written by D.T. Niles, a theologian, who wrote that we are just:

"one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread."

To be all things to all people is about being companions...not chameleons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home